The main components of Login PI:
- Login PI Virtual Appliance
- Login PI Launcher Machine
- Target Environment
Within the Active Directory you will need to create the virtual user accounts. The virtual users will need to have the Login PI logon script applied.
The browsers we support with the Login PI R3 Web Interface are;
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
Login PI Virtual Appliance
The Login PI R3 virtual appliance is delivered as an fully configured virtual machine. This virtual machine is now delivered as a VMware Open Virtual Appliance (OVA). The appliance has pre-configured resource needs. The specifications are:
- VMware ESXi 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 6.7 (using OVA file)
- Microsoft Hyper-V - Server 2012 R2 and higher (using VHDX file)
- Citrix XenServer 7.6 (using OVA file)
- Minimum Processor: 2 vCPU
- Minimum Memory: 4GB RAM
- Storage: The appliance comes with a preconfigured 100GB Hard disk
- Network: Make sure DNS records are updated with Virtual Appliance IP and Hostname and that reverse lookups are configured
- Communication between the Login PI Virtual Appliance, Launcher Machine and the Target Environment are over the following ports: 443 (HTTPS)
- For online updating the virtual appliance make sure you are able to connect to Docker hub and Github
Login PI Launcher Machine
The Login PI Launcher Machine is used to initiate sessions to the target environment. It cannot be installed on the Login PI Server.
- Windows 7 and greater (64-Bit)
NOTE: If running the launcher on a Windows 7 machine the console version of the launcher must be used. The console version of the launcher is located in the install directory (e.g., C:\Program Files\Login VSI\Login PI 3 Launcher\LoginPI.Launcher.Console.exe)
- Windows server 2012R2 or greater (64-bit)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1
- Lock screen turned off
- Screensaver turned off
- When testing Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop, the Citrix Receiver is required
- When testing VMware Horizon, the Horizon Client is required
- Processor: 2 vCPU
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Storage: 1GB free space
The target environment is the environment you want to test.
- Windows 7 and greater (32-bit and 64-Bit)
- Windows server 2008 R2 or greater (64-bit)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1
Permissions and connections
The test user(s) must be able to:
- Log on to the target environment
- Run the logon script
- Connect to the Login PI Server on the following ports: 443 (HTTPS)
- Permission to launch applications from the user %temp% folder
Protocol Latency Requirements
- Citrix ICA
- VMware Horizon View (Blast Extreme, PCoIP and RDP)
- Microsoft RDP
Operating System Support
Desktop operating systems
Microsoft Windows 7 and up is supported.
NOTE: Latency metrics for Windows 7 require additional configuration when using RDP. RDP 8.0 is a minimum requirement. See the following link for additional details.
Server operating systems
Windows Server 2008 R2 and up is supported.
NOTE: Latency metrics are not supported for Windows Server 2008 R2 using RDP protocol. This applies to Microsoft RDS and VMware Horizon View with RDP. This is because not all RDP 8.0 features are available for this operating system.
From Microsoft's website:
Are the RemoteFX and RDP 8.0 enhancements available for Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Session Host? No, the RemoteFX and RDP 8.0 enhancements are not available for Windows Server 2008 R2 Session Host. However, a Windows Server 2008 R2 computer acting as a client access device will still get the Remote Desktop Connection 8.0 client and thereby get the benefits listed in the ‘client access devices’ section earlier.