To make sure the database does not grow too rapidly we have added the option to configure Data Retention for your database. The Data Retention functionality will effectively delete the raw data older than a specified amount of days. This does not mean the graphs will become empty as they use statistical and not raw data, but certain views i.e. Hourly view will disappear when falling outside of the retention window.
- When configured it will eliminate the possibility of viewing the Hourly view of data older than the configured amount of days.
- When configured it will eliminate the possibility of viewing the events of data older than the configured amount of days.
- Minimum of 45 days data retention is enforced.
To configure Data Retention please go to the Login PI 3 homepage and click on the System button.
Once done you will see the Data Retention tab. By default we have disabled Data Retention. To enable it simply enable the switch of the item you wish to enable.
As can be seen in the image, there are two options you can configure.
- Raw measurement data - eliminates the Hourly view of data older than the configured amount of days
- Event data - deletes the events of data older than the configured amount of days
Configure the preferred settings and make sure you configure the preferred amount of days you wish to keep.
NOTE: For existing Login PI 3 environments:
If you have been running Login PI 3 for an extended period of time the data retention service will immediately go to work at deleting the old data when enabled. We have throttled the initial deletion of these records. We do this to make sure we do not stress the Login PI 3 Virtual appliance. It will perform this in the background.
After data retention has completed the database will not reduce in size, but it will have empty space that will be used when new data is added. The database will grow again after all of that space is used.