With the default installation of Login Enterprise we make use of an internal Database. However we also deliver the option of configuring an external SQL database.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before we begin there are a few things we need to know / do:
- You can only move to an External SQL Database and not back. To go back to an internal database you will need to re-install Login Enterprise completely and lose all data in the process
- When moving to an External SQL Database will delete all existing data that has been collected until that time
- Please create a snapshot before starting the migration to eliminate to possibility of permanently losing data.
For the SQL database implementation there are a number of requirements.
- We only support Microsoft SQL Server 2016 and higher
- A Database needs to exist on the SQL Server instance
- The user connecting to the SQL Database must be an SQL user and not a Domain User
Make sure Named Pipes are enabled on the SQL Server Service
To configure the External SQL Database we will need to go to the system page of Login Enterprise:
Once the page is opened click on the "Database Configuration" tab.
You are presented with list of items we need to configure in order to get things working;
- Database server hostname - hostname / IP / FQDN of SQL server
- Database server port number - Port number used to communicate to the SQL server
- Database Instance name - The name of the preferred instance for the database configuration
- Database name - The name of the created database
- Username - The username of the preferred SQL user
- Password - The password of the SQL user
Once configured you can test the connection and save the DB configuration.