With the default installation of Login Enterprise we make use of an internal Database. However we also deliver the option of configuring an external SQL database.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before we begin there are a few things we need to know / do:
- You can only move to an External SQL Database and not back. To go back to an internal database you will need to re-install Login Enterprise completely and lose all data in the process
- When moving to an External SQL Database will delete all existing data that has been collected until that time
- Please create a snapshot before starting the migration to eliminate to possibility of permanently losing data.
For the SQL database implementation there are a number of requirements.
- We currently support Microsoft SQL Server 2016, 2017 and 2019
- A Database needs to exist on the SQL Server instance
- The user connecting to the SQL Database must be an SQL user and not a Domain User
Make sure Named Pipes are enabled on the SQL Server Service
- The connection can be configured to use SSL towards the SQL server
To configure the External SQL Database we will need to go to the system page of Login Enterprise:
Once the page is opened click on the "Database Configuration" tab.
You are presented with list of items we need to configure in order to get things working;
- Database server hostname - hostname / IP / FQDN of SQL server
- Database server port number - Port number used to communicate to the SQL server
- Database Instance name - The name of the preferred instance for the database configuration
- Database name - The name of the created database
- Username - The username of the preferred SQL user
- Password - The password of the SQL user
Once configured you can test the connection and save the DB configuration.